Wednesday, July 13, 2011

You are my Gate

"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." -Proverbs 4:23

This verse has been circling through my head for months now. Various friends (of a loving and wise sort of nature) have offered it to me as advise in this season of my life. How discerning of them. And yet, every time I hear it or read it, it stirs turmoil in me...

A guard is set in place to protect something of value- something deemed precious, and worthy of any expense to protect. Above all else, the Lord considers my heart to be the one thing worth guarding. I could spend the rest of my life pondering on that alone.

So why the turmoil? What can be bad about my heart being precious?

Finally, after a man that I deeply admire shared this verse yet again with me, the Lord explained to me what I did not understand about guarding my heart.

This is what I knew: As said before, a guard is set in place to protect something of value- they are strong in stature, and often carry an additional weapon to defend against those who would try to steal or wound that which is being protected. Keep it safe, keep everything out.

But that is where I erred!! A guard is not solely set in place to keep everything out. Rather, a guard is set in place to keep everything out that would harm, while allowing any rightful person to pass easily. If a guard is excellent at protecting something- a city, for example- but they do not allow the King or the citizens of that city to enter- what good is the guard?!

Guard your heart.

Yes, a guard often means putting up walls, putting up boundaries... but a boundary without a gate is but a prison!

I need a guard of my heart to defend against anything ill intended, and to allow those who would bless to enter. I need a gate of my heart, to let the wicked depart, and let the loving to enter.

It's the same misconception as we have about God being a judge- we forget that a judge also pronounces the people innocent! Remove your turmoil, and be thankful!

But I have learned that I am not the best guard of my gate. I used to let all of the good in, but there was no closing my gate! Here is my heart- wide open for all who desire to possess it. Friend or foe. The truth is- I need a guard, and I need a guard who is stronger than I am.


“I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.
Therefore Jesus said again, “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. All who ever came before me were thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" John 10:1-10

No comments:

Post a Comment