Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Simple Song

Psalm 104:33 I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.
Psalm 108:1 My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul.

I don't know what I would do without song. Outside of relationships, it is my most precious gift.

It makes reality more tangible for me. I often find there is more to me than I had imagined with a simple utterance of song. Emotions I would not dare allow myself to address in thought are suddenly acceptable under the blanket of song.

Even silence is better expressed for me in music-
The Lord's avenue for quieting my mind and calming me.

It is His best way of asking me to let go.

I say things to the Lord that I am too afraid to tell Him by way of thought: sometimes believing Him to be more pleased in my song, and sometimes because words alone seem to be an injustice to my message.

My deepest longing is to know Him, and for Him to know me.

I allow myself to be known in song. And in return, His responses to my troubles and my joys reveal to me who He is.

He gave me music so that I would not be stuck in a fantastical allusion of some imagined god. In song, I find that He is closer than I imagine. He hears more than I realize. And I love Him more than I had believed.

In song, my eyes are opened and my ears hear, and I am awakened to a level of reality of His presence that I cannot live without. I dry out without Him.

And so I will sing to the Lord all my life. I will sing praise to my God for as long as I live.
My heart is steadfast, O God. I will sing and make music with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment